SSL Certificates for Nigeria
Secure your website and customer data
All the above SSLs come with:
128/256 bit Encryption
What is an SSL Certificate?
SSL stands for Secure Socket Layer; as described in name, it is a security layer protocol which is used to encrypt the sensitive data of your website and protect it from spammers and hackers. When you install an SSL certificate on your website, your HTTP protocol will convert into the HTTPS protocol which signals that your website is secure for online transactions, and secures your sensitive data. You can buy an SSL certificate from a web hosting company like Web4Africa.
When your SSL certificate issued by an SSL certificate authority, and you make your domain move from HTTP to HTTPS, your SSL certificate will display some public information like:
- Certificate Information: the information contains the purpose(s) of the certificate.
- Issued to: contains the certificate holder company or domain name
- Issued by: contains the certificate issuing company, certification authority
- Valid From: contains the issuing date to expiry date of your SSL certificate
- Details: contains the SSL certificate version, serial number, Signature hash algorithm, Issuer Company,
public key parameters, etc.
- Certification Path: displays the path of a certificate issued
How does an SSL Certificate work?
When a user request server to access your domain URL and if you have installed an SSL certificate properly, the browser asks the domain to identify the user. At that point, the process of SSL handshake will be performed by the website, in this process the website will send a copy of the SSL certificate and website’s public key, and then the browser will check the few details like the certificate is from a valid Certificate Authority (CA), not expired, not revoked, and valid for the particular website.
If the process successfully completed, then the browser will create, encrypt and send a symmetric key by using the website’s public key, after that the website will decrypt the data and send an acknowledgement to start the encryption session.
What should you install an SSL Certificate?
An SSL certificate is a security layer for your website. When you install an SSL certificate you add some essential security protocol to your website. Here are some of the benefits of installing an SSL certificate to your website.
- Encrypt sensitive data like passwords, Email ID, bank details, etc.
- Create a security layer to prevent hackers from accessing your website data.
- Make an online transaction more secure for your customers.
- Can boost up your website SERP ranking in Google and other search engines.
Types of SSL Certificates
There are basically three types of SSL certificate you need to be familiar with: Domain Validated (DV), Organization Validated (OV), and Extended Validation (EV).
How to implement an SSL Certificate?
Here are the simple steps you need to follow for implementing HTTPS for your website.
- Get a unique SSL certificate from Web4Africa by ordering any of the offers above.
- Add an SSL certificate with the domain.
- Enable your SSL Certificate on your web hosting space or server.
- Update all links, scripts, URLs, and Media file URLs to the HTTPS version.
- Check whether your SSL certificate is working properly or not on your browser.
SSL Certificate FAQs
By doing these 2 things, an SSL Certificate protects your customers and in turn increases their trust in your online business. This is especially important if your website requires users to login using passwords or enter sensitive information such as credit card details.